Monday, April 12, 2021

Bunch of voting machines demand retractions from right-wing media

Must read


Lawyers for the voting machine company at the center of Donald Trump’s electoral conspiracy theories have demanded that a series of right-wing media retract claims they have made about the company in recent weeks.

A law firm working for Dominion Voting Systems wrote to Fox News, two other right-wing networks – One America News Network and Newsmax – and the Epoch Times newspaper, insisting that they withdraw all allegations about the role of the company in last month’s election.

Lawyers also sent individual letters to some of America’s best-known Conservative presenters, including Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio presenter, and three Fox News hosts: Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs and Maria Bartiromo.

The 21 letters, seen by the Financial Times, are part of an aggressive response from the Dominion, which the president and his allies have accused, without proof, of being part of a large plot to steal the election and deliver. victory to his opponent. Joe Biden.

In the letter to Fox News, the attorneys wrote: “We demand that Fox issue a retraction to make it clear that there is simply no evidence to support the conspiracy theories which continue to tarnish the reputation of the company. ‘company.

Dominion chief executive John Poulos said Wednesday he plans to take legal action against some of the president’s allies in the future.

Mr. Poulos told CNN Thursday: “We sent a letter to several different people who have been spreading lies and defamatory comments since election day on different platforms.”

He added, “We expect none of them to retract, forcing our hand to sue.”

Fox and Newsmax have not commented on Dominion’s letters. OANN responded to
letters from the company accompanied by a legal letter of its own, but did not deal with any of Dominion’s complaints directly.

The Epoch Times and Mr Limbaugh did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dominion attorneys targeted their initial litigation at Sidney Powell, a lawyer who helped spread accusations that Hugo Chávez, the late Venezuelan leader, was behind a plan to install faulty voting machines in across the United States. Mr. Poulos described her on Thursday as “the most blatant and prolific provider of these lies”.

The company’s lawyers also wrote to Pat Cipollone, the White House lawyer, and Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, warning them to keep any documents that might be relevant to a trial.

The White House declined to comment. Neither Ms. Powell nor Mr. Giuliani responded to such a request.

Tom Clare, one of the Dominion lawyers, told the Daily Beast earlier this week, he expected to file “multiple disputes” in January.

Smartmatic, another voting machine company that has been the subject of accusations by Trump allies, has also threatened legal action against Fox News, Newsmax and One America News Network. The company has asked the chains to drop charges that the company conspired to secure Mr. Biden’s election.

Following the threat, Fox News and Newsmax aired segments debunking the allegations. Fox aired an interview in which Eddie Perez, director of the Open Source Election Technology Institute, was asked about the claims by a voice off camera. Mr Perez then went on to explain in detail why the allegations were false.

Mr. Trump’s allegations of extensive electoral fraud have been dismissed by several organizations, including his own government’s cybersecurity agency, as well as in the courts. William Barr said just before stepping down as United States Attorney General this week that there was without reason seize voting machines or appoint a special advocate to investigate voter fraud.

The president has reportedly considered giving Ms Powell a role in the White House to investigate electoral misconduct, but he has since rejected the idea.



- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article