IGN has the tips and tricks, Practical guides, and more to help you succeed in Dead by Daylight. Here you’ll find tips on how to save your surviving companions with a paddle or flashlight, why it’s important to be careful with your surroundings as a killer, and how all of those crows you’ll see around the world are important. Plans may be.
For more helpful tips, be sure to check out these specific reader guides:
- Check the loading screen. The loading screen has a lot of useful tips, especially if you are a beginner.
- Play the tutorials for the killer and the survivor. The Help & Tutorials section should be your first stop if you are just getting started with the game. While this of course differs from the actual gameplay, it will introduce you to the basic concepts and objectives for Survivor and Killer.
Tips and tricks for survivors
- Play games as The Killer. Familiarize yourself with their goals and the way they play. This is especially useful for learning the potency and add-ons of each Killer so that you know what to expect when you face them.
- Always do something useful. This seems like the most basic advice, but you’d be surprised how often you see Survivors doing nothing but crouch or hide in a locker. Make every second count.
- On that note, find a generator. When you start a test, head to a generator and have it fixed.
- Clean a totem pole. If a generator gets stuck due to a slayer’s perk, or if you first encounter a totem pole, clear a totem pole.
- Yes, even the enlightened. Hexagonal totems are those that are lit with a candle at the bottom of them. These are associated with various killer advantages. Hex: Ruin is the most common that you will notice is used by killers because it prevents generator repairs.
If you see a lit totem pole at the start of a trial, it could also be Hex: Haunted Ground. The likelihood of it increasing if you play against Spirit. If this is cleared, it means that the Survivors suffer from the Exposed status effect and can be put into the dying state with a single hit.
- You can use paddles to save a survivor. If a killer carries a survivor and goes through a pallet, you can drop the pallet to stun them and free the survivor from the killer’s grip.
- You can also use flashlights to save a survivor. If you can aim the beam of light at the killer’s face, you could blind the killer by causing them to drop the survivor and be temporarily stunned.
Tips and tricks for the killers
- Play games as a survivor. This is the best way to anticipate their movements.
- Hold down attack button to slash. This will give you a small burst of speed as a killer, but it also means you take some time to recover from a missed attack.
- Listen carefully. Generators under repair make a lot of noise, so you can usually find survivors nearby.
- Interrupt the survivors. When Survivors repair generators or clean up totems, you can “interrupt” them. If you are quick, you can get them back immediately. This gives you a free grip and means you can haul them straight to a hook.
- Killer add-ons can modify their powers in several ways. They are consumed once the test is over.
- Pallets may amaze you. If a Survivor drops you from a paddle during a chase, it temporarily stuns you.
- Avoid them especially if you are carrying a survivor. If a pallet falls on you while carrying a Survivor, they will escape.
- Time your attacks. Hitting a healthy survivor gives them a short acceleration. But if you hit them at the right time, it can sometimes throw them into objects and allow you to catch them faster.
- If a survivor squirms, he stuns the killer for a few seconds.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. You’ll want to try and guess a Survivor’s next move in a chase, so watch your surroundings.
- Crows can be found in all levels. These entity minions will take off and croak when disturbed killers can use the crows to locate survivors.
- Hooks are destroyed when the Entity consumes a survivor on a sacrificial hook.