The Indian government imposed an initial ban in June, but now says it is “dissatisfied” with responses from companies.
India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology issued new notices to make permanent a ban on the TikTok video app and 58 other Chinese apps in June, according to Indian media.
When it first imposed the ban, the Indian government gave the 59 apps a chance to explain their position on meeting privacy and security requirements, The Times of India reported on Monday.
The companies, which include ByteDance’s popular video-sharing app TikTok, Tencent Holdings’ WeChat and Alibaba’s UC browser, were also asked to respond to a list of questions, the daily said.
“The government is not satisfied with the answer / explanation given by these companies. Therefore, the ban on these 59 applications is now permanent, ”said business newspaper Livemint, citing a source close to the opinions. He said the notices were published last week.
The ministry’s June order said the apps were “detrimental to [the] sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, state security and public order ”.
The order, which India called a “digital strike,” followed a skirmish with Chinese troops at a disputed Himalayan border site in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
In September, India banned 118 other mobile apps, including Tencent’s popular PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) video game, as it stepped up pressure on Chinese tech companies over the border standoff.
A representative for TikTok told the Economic Times newspaper that the company is evaluating the notice and will respond to it if necessary.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology could not be reached for comment outside normal working hours. TikTok did not respond to a request for comment.