Monday, May 10, 2021

Taliban say US “bombs civilians and homes” in violation of deal | Taliban news

Must read


The statement comes a day after the Pentagon said the Taliban had failed to live up to their end of the peace deal signed last year.

The Taliban accused the United States of violating a landmark agreement signed between the two sides, after the Pentagon said the group failed to live up to its end of the deal.

“The other party has violated the agreement, almost every day they violate it,” Mohammad Naeem, a spokesperson for the Taliban in Qatar, told the news agency on Friday.

“They are bombing civilians, houses and villages, and we have informed them from time to time, these are not only violations of the agreement but violations of human rights.”

The Pentagon said on Thursday that the Taliban’s refusal to honor their commitments to reduce violence in Afghanistan raises the question of whether all US troops will be able to leave by May, as required by the peace agreement signed in February 2020. .

The peace accord called on the United States to reduce its troop level to 2,500 and then withdraw its forces completely by May.

Former President Donald Trump ordered the level of US troops in Afghanistan reduced to 2,500 just days before his departure, presenting successor Joe Biden with tough decisions on how to maintain his influence against the Taliban in favor of the talks of peace.

Pentagon chief spokesman John Kirby said the United States remains committed to a complete withdrawal of its troops, but the deal also calls on the Taliban to sever ties with Al Qaeda and reduce violence.

“Without them meeting their commitments to renounce terrorism and stop the violent attacks against the Afghan national security forces, it is very difficult to see a specific path for a negotiated settlement,” Kirby said. “But we are still attached to this.”

White House and State Department officials have made it clear that the Biden administration plans to take a fresh look at the peace deal.

The White House said Biden’s national security adviser Jake Sullivan told his Afghan counterpart in a phone call last Friday that the new administration would “revise” the deal.

Newly-installed Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Wednesday the administration wanted to take a detailed look to “understand exactly what’s in the deal” before deciding how to proceed.

Taliban officials and the Afghan government earlier this month resumed peace talks in Qatar – the Gulf state where the armed group has an office – aimed at ending decades of conflict.

But frustration and fear have grown following a recent outbreak of violence, and both sides blame the other.



- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article