Montreal is a city that knows something about winter. And although we at Tuque Games were looking forward to a long and beautiful summer, we have worked hard to channel our experience of ice and snow to recreate Icewind Dale, the frozen Nordic region of the Forgotten Realms. by Dungeons & Dragons.
Dark Alliance Brings Dungeons & Dragons to life in a third-person action RPG with explosive combat and dynamic co-op play.
Players take on the role of one of four most iconic D&D characters created by RA Salvatore – Drizzt, Cattie-brie, Bruenor and Wulfgar – as they fend off an onslaught of monsters that have invaded Icewind Dale in search of a powerful artifact : Crystal Shard.
In Dark Alliance We wanted to bring the monsters and environments of the Forgotten Realms to life at a level of fidelity that we as D&D fans and players have always wanted to experience. And we wanted a fun, emergent combat experience. Something very intuitive to grasp, but still difficult to master.
We also wanted to put the power of progression in the hands of the player. And so, our structure is very concentrated, allowing players to largely choose the missions they want to do in the order in which they want to do them.
In these missions, you’ll kill monsters and collect a lot of treasure – and maybe even find secret areas to loot. You can then increase the challenge level of a given mission and play it again to get better loot. All of that killing and looting is even more fun when playing with your friends.
Which makes Dark Alliance The iconic D&D monsters are truly special to us. You will encounter over 30 different types of monster units in your game. Each monster is packed with personality and a variety of combat tips.
Now, let’s cover one of these types of monsters.
Presentation of the Verbeeg of Dark Alliance
One of Icewind Dale’s most feared monsters is the verbeeg. These creatures were featured in RA Salvatore’s novel, “The Crystal Shard. “ Dark Alliance reintroduces verbeeg to the world of D&D; Giant parents the size of an ogre, with a layer of bulk and fat to keep them insulated from the freezing north winds. We also worked with D&D studio TRPG to integrate Verbeeg into the recent D&D source book “Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden”.
Verbeeg seems almost friendly to hear them speak, but their homey charm hides a vicious appetite for fresh meat. Their preference is for the dwarves – the lobster of the verbeeg diet, given that they come in a shell (i.e. armor). But the verbeeg will eat anything that walks or crawls.
Their sheer size makes them an imposing force on the battlefield and their tactics are those of a hunter / trapper. They spend a great deal of their time figuring out the best way to cook and prepare whatever they want, or whoever they are about to eat.
You will encounter a variety of Verbeeg during your missions. Let’s cover their tactics so you can be prepared to face them in battle.
- Skewer: The weapon of choice for verbeeg is the harpoon. They like to try to rack their enemies when they are close and personal.
- Launch: Verbeeg aims to throw his harpoon at you if you try to keep your distance.
- Bring back: If a verbeeg’s harpoon hooks up, it will wind you up like a fish on a hook – better prepare for a good shot before you come to taste.
- slam: Verbeeg can use his great stature to slam into the ground, dealing damage to anything nearby.
- To vomit: Sometimes the things verbeeg eat don’t agree with them. Spewer’s archetype will spew out a puddle of poisonous goo that will make anyone who walks through it sick.
- Flesh totem: The butcher archetype carries a piece of rotten flesh on his spear. When they slam it to the ground, the smell can be so overwhelming that it drains your stamina.
- Steel trap: The Trapper archetype will launch large steel traps that close in on the unsuspecting, catching you in place. Until you can break free from the trap, you are easy to choose.
The Verbeeg are just one of the many enemies that you and your friends would kill together when Dark Alliance will be released on Xbox One and Xbox Series X | S June 22.