As part of a joint deal with a company called RTS, Sony purchased the Evolution Championship Series, one of the oldest and oldest esports tournaments in the world. Sony did not disclose the terms of the deal, but noted that it will lead the organization with help from RTS, which is an offshoot of the talent management agency. Effort.
According to SonyEvo co-founders Tom and Tony Cannon will continue to serve in advisory roles to continue guiding the organization. “The new partnership is committed to bringing you amazing tournaments and competitive gaming experiences this year and beyond,” the two said in a statement. joint statement.
Last year Evo was slated to move forward as an online-only event, but was canceled after co-founder Joey “Mr. Wizard” Cuellar was accused of assaulting a minor. Several video game publishers, including Capcom, have started to distance themselves from the tournament. “We want to reaffirm that harassment or abuse of any kind has no place in Evo or any of our future events, and we take all necessary precautions to ensure that members of our community will always be treated with the respect, dignity and decency you deserve, ”said Tom and Tony Cannon in their statement.
Sony said it will have more information to share about the acquisition in the coming weeks and months. Waiting, Evo will return on August 6 with an online tournament spanning two weekends. The event will feature Guilty Gear Strive, Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate, Street Fighter V: Champion Edition and Tekken 7, with entry open to anyone who wants to participate.