Farmers had traveled to fields in eastern Beni when they were attacked on New Year’s Eve, an official said.
At least 25 people were killed in an attack on New Year’s Eve by rebels in eastern Beni territory in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, local officials said.
Farmers had gone to the fields of Tingwe village when they were attacked by rebels from the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), according to the representative of the governor of the region, Sabiti Njiamoja.
Some of the bodies were found by rescue teams in the bushes on Friday, he said.
Local civil society representative Bravo Muhindo confirmed that more than 25 had died, adding that many had been beheaded.
Others have been kidnapped, Muhindo said.
Residents of Beni and surrounding villages have called for increased security due to ADF attacks in the area.
ADF originates from neighboring Uganda and has long been a threat in eastern Congo.
The ISIL group (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for some attacks carried out by ADF rebels, but the exact relationship between the two is unclear.
Last year, a Congolese military campaign was launched against the rebels and the fighters have since dispersed and fled to various parts of eastern Congo, where dozens of armed groups are fighting for control of rich lands. in minerals.
The rebels responded to the military offensive by stepping up attacks, killing more than 800 people last year.