The Rockets traded disgruntled guard James Harden to the Nets on Wednesday in a four-team deal also involving the Cavaliers and Pacers, according to multiple reports. DeMarcus Cousins probably won’t send him a leaving gift.
After the Rockets’ loss to the Lakers on Tuesday night, Harden offered a harsh review of Houston’s roster and essentially put his request for an exit straight into the microphone.
MORE: NBA players react to James Harden trade
“[We’re] just not good enough, ”said Harden. Obviously, the chemistry, the talent, just everything. And it was clear, like I said, the last few games. They were just, from the start of the game, just aggressive. Veteran team, obviously, championship team, one of the best teams we have in this league.
“I love this city. I literally did everything I could. I mean, this situation is crazy. This is something that I don’t think can be fixed.
Cousins heard these comments and he didn’t like them. “Boogie” responded with a blowtorch Wednesday before Harden was traded. Here is a collection of quotes from his media session.
– On whether he felt betrayed by Harden: “Personally, I don’t feel betrayed at all. My interest was playing with John Wall, to be brutally honest. That being said, the lack of respect [from Harden] started long before any interview. Just approaching training camp, showing the way he did it, the antics off the pitch. The disrespect started long before.
“It’s not something that happened all of a sudden last night. But that being said, like I said, it’s the most unpleasant part of the business. what it is.”
“I don’t feel betrayed at all. My interest was playing with John Wall, to be brutally honest.”
DeMarcus Cousins on if he feels betrayed by James Harden. pic.twitter.com/yRlyOFw0In
– ESPN (@espn) January 13, 2021
– On Harden saying the team is not good enough: “Obviously it’s disrespectful, but everyone has a right to have their opinion. We feel a certain type of way about some of their actions. It’s the nasty part of the business that’s sort of swept under the rug. You deal with these types of things, and when guys are in franchise player positions or whatever, it’s usually a nasty breakup sometimes. Like I said, it’s all part of this business. “
DeMarcus Cousins on James Harden’s presser last night: “Obviously it’s disrespectful but everyone has words to express their opinion. We somehow feel some of his actions …” pic.twitter.com/qyFYxpXzxT
– Adam Spolane (@AdamSpolane) January 13, 2021
– On Harden lacks respect: “I just feel like it’s a way of doing business. He can feel what he wants to think of the organization or whatever his current situation is, but the 14 other guys in the locker room don’t didn’t do anything, so for us to be receiving some of the disrespectful comments and antics is completely unfair to us.
“Like I said, we didn’t do anything to him. We just showed up at work, like everyone else, and arrived ready to work. So like I said, it’s completely unfair to the rest of the guys in the locker room. “
DeMarcus Cousins on James Harden: “He could feel what he wanted to feel with the organization, but the 14 other guys in that locker room didn’t do anything to him. So we were the recipients of some of the comments and disrespectful antics is completely unfair to us. ” pic.twitter.com/s6jumGIYLG
– Salman Ali (@almanAliNBA) January 13, 2021
– If the team could play with Harden again: “I don’t really think that’s a question for us. I think it’s a question for him. Will he ever think he could play with us again? I don’t know. Honestly, I m ‘cares.”