The attack targeted the paramilitary Frontier Corps (FC), the military said, adding that a search operation was underway.
At least seven soldiers were killed in an attack by unidentified gunmen in southwest Pakistan, the military said.
The attackers attacked a security post in Harnai district of Balochistan province early on Sunday, the military’s media wing, Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.
Police officer Shawli Tareen gave a slightly higher death toll than the army, claiming that during the exchange of fire six paramilitary personnel and two private guards were killed.
He said six other soldiers were seriously injured in the attack.
The attackers fled the scene and made their way through the mountainous terrain before other security teams arrived to help, Tareen said.
The attack on the Frontier Corps comes a day after a bomb exploded near a football field, killing two spectators and injuring six others in Panjgur district in southwest Balochistan.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for either attack.
Similar attacks in the past have been claimed by separatist groups in the region. Other armed groups also operate in the region.
Balochistan, which shares borders with Afghanistan and Iran, is Pakistan’s largest and most volatile province.
It faces a multifaceted threat from several armed groups, including the Taliban and other movements seeking to separate the province from Pakistan.
Among the groups’ other targets, projects launched by China as part of a $ 62 billion investment plan are common.
Violence, however, has declined significantly in Pakistan in recent years, after the country’s military pushed back armed groups in a series of offensives near the border.