Coal is one of the Minecraftthe most useful resources as it provides light in the sometimes dark and spooky Overworld.
The item can be mined and retrieved from coal ore blocks found in the Overworld.
Coal in Minecraft
The following information is for the current version of Minecraft, update 1.16.5. The mechanics of smut spawning will change in Update 1.17.
Coal Ore spawns very often from levels 0 to 137. It will spawn in veins as small as one ore to as large as 37 ores. On average, 307 ores appear per piece, which is quite a large amount.
Coal can be mined with any pickax, including wood. It can also be dropped by Wither Skeletons.
Here are some of the uses of coal in Minecraft:
- Coal can be used as fuel in a kiln or minecart with kiln, melting eight items per charcoal.
- Nine coals can be used to craft a coal block (pictured above).
- The main use of charcoal is to make torches (this requires charcoal).
- Coal can be used to make campfires.
- Coal can be used to craft fire charges.
- A novice-level fishing villager can buy 10 coals for one emerald. (50% chance)
Charcoal is often confused with charcoal, which can be created by melting logs or wood. It can also be obtained by smashing a Campfire without using the Silk Touch enchantment.